Prescription drugs are the usual ways adults deal with anxiety disorders. However, oftentimes, anti-anxiety medicines only deal with the symptoms and not the root causes. Anti-anxiety medication often provoke dislike from people who have used them for some time. This is mainly because of their side effects, and the notion that they don’t really cure the disease.
If you are on certain anti-anxiety medication, it is important to know that it isn’t the only option available. Some foods and drinks can also provide home remedies to treat anxiety.
1) If you are feeling too stressed, try drinking some Chamomile tea. Chamomile tea can calm and relax your mind, and soothe your thoughts. This tea can help you sleep if you have trouble sleeping at night. It has natural sedative properties that can bring your stressed mind and tense body to a relaxed state.
2) A natural substance found in turkey, called Tryptophan, makes you feel relaxed after eating. Tryptophan is related to serotonin, a chemical that helps the brain deal with anxiety. Tryptophan consumed through food also helps in relieving anxiety.
3) Improve your mental and psychological health by consuming avocado. They contain potassium, a chemical substance that lowers blood pressure. Potassium keeps your heart on a steady beat, lowering the likelihood of a heart attack.
4) Consuming a variety of leafy green vegetables and hemp oil can contribute to optimal brain health. They are anxiety busters. A crucial player in brain-adrenal axis balance is magnesium, which is found in green leafy vegetables.
5) Dark chocolate calms you. It’s because it has loads of cocoa that contain stress relievers.
6) Research has shown that aside from its other health benefits turmeric can help ease symptoms of depression and anxiety. Among its health benefits turmeric can help in digestion, healing, and reducing joint inflammations.
7) One of the substances that reduce the incidence of anxiety is folic acid. Folic acid is found richly in asparagus. When the level of folic acid in your body goes down, your brain’s neurotransmitters will be impaired, this causes anxiety and stress.
8) Organ meats such as liver are also rich in vitamin B. Serotonin production is done by methylation which requires sufficient amount of vitamin B in the body.
9) Eating oysters can increase your intake of zinc, an essential mineral that your brain requires to behave normally. If your zinc level drops below normal, this can cause anxiety.
10) Your gut needs to be healthy for your brain to be healthy. Kefir is a good source of probiotics that keep your gut in good shape.